Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Scraping not the sky, but by



Worst areas for child poverty are in London
The Independent, 10 January 2012

Your eldest brother, whom you'll know
by the dried scent of my tears, awaits
you on the distant bank, my fleeting child;
beyond the towers of Barclay blue
and Citi red, a kindlier place
than those you've known, where floors and walls aren't cold
and damp, where supper costs a smile;
so sweetly sleep and in your dreams
around you fold my lullaby, and warm
fresh tears I'll shed upon that veil
that he who waits beyond the Thames
shall know you for his kin as you shall him.

The rain has stopped, I've heard that frost
is coming to this shadow land;
where no sun lights the grassy cracks no March
could come too soon; we'll feel full force
this Winter's spleen before respite's at hand.
Remember us, oh fleeting child, the wretched
who must hourly bear your loss;
there’s nothing spare to keep the fire
alight, nor sate the bailiff’s avarice;
he’ll have the bed from under us
and repossess these rags we wear;
for bread and wine we’ll take the Eucharist.


(c) 2012 Slush Poet

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Andy - self-confessed 'really nice bloke' - I've enjoyed reading some of your poems here. You've got an interesting take on the world - I like that. Will be back again!

    ReplyDelete