Friday, April 6, 2012

Not one of my better Fridays


Smoking is no longer part of life, says Andrew Lansley
The Guardian, Good Friday, 6 April 2012

Walking away from Calgary
some of us were keen for a spliff
or a stiff shot of vodka straight
from the bottle. Something to help us
forget why we needed so badly
to forget him. We certainly
didn’t feel like talking about him
sober and po-faced. ‘Remember me,’
he’d said, forgetting to mention
his most recent carpentry project,
the one he’d been dragging
his feet on, but finally struck
the last true nail through today.
Oh, he’d whispered something
to Judas, his favourite, but us
he just let eat his bread and drink
his wine with no word of warning
about the aftertaste. We don’t know
what we’ve done, but soon
it’ll be cold and I’ll catch my death
if I can’t smoke a cigarette.

(c) 2012 Slush Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment