Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The price of tea


Britain on renewed flood alert after wettest April on record
The Telegraph, 1 May 2012

This, my husband, I have heard, that over in England

they suffer too. Even their judiciary can be swept away
on a surge. I read in the Hindi Times of a judge
who was drowned when his Jaguar plunged
into a swollen Hampshire tributary, to be found
later dead as a log, clinging to his faithful hunting hound.

Such, my husband, are our blessings.
We who sailed on the roof of the Brahmaputra ferry
found no electric windows or central lockings
kaput and blocking our escape, and for the losses
of our livings have been promised two whole lakh!
So, husband, when I am fished from the flood,
and sorted from the flotsam, I shall be revealed
your surviving wife, clinging to your bloated hide.

(c) 2012 Slush Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment