Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sandcastles


As a child I didn’t build sandcastles.
It was as if any hope
they might be allowed to remain
seemed childish to me,
a degree of optimism
like sandcastles themselves
without foundation
in sandpits laid on by farmers
to amuse the labourers’ kids
and keep them from harm’s way,
well out of earshot
so the mothers wouldn’t be troubled
by grazed knees, bee stings
stomach cramps, hungry cries
guilty pangs piled high on guilty pangs.

I dug tunnels instead
as deep as the sandpit went
sometimes as long as my arm,
sometimes with two separate entrances
joining them unseen, under the sand.
It was something I did
that impressed the other kids,
it was somewhere I hid
the things I stole from them;
Mum used to say I was trying
to dig my way out, to escape,
making a joke of the fact
that she hadn’t the cash to buy
her son a bucket and spade.


Sandcastles has now been published in Volume 027 of Sarasvati

(c) 2012 Slush Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment