Saturday, August 18, 2012

The antidote to everything


Aspirin may help in fight against depression
Daily Mail, 18 August 2012

I turn to aspirin, much as some
turn to religion. To prove
this virtuoso medicine’s
omnipotence, I once perused

Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason
through a fog of countless fills
of Stella Artois (five percent
in those days, understand) until,

crows pulling worms from my eyes,
cork borers trepanning my skull,
I quaffed the regulation two
pills and slept like virgin snow.

Blissful sleep, the gentle thief.
Eternal sleep, the antidote
to everything. I got me aspirin,
what’s to be depressed about?


(c) 2012 Slush Poet

1 comment:

  1. "Labels: Aspirin, depression, mental illness, poem, poetry, suicide." That's it then. I'd best retire - redundant.

    Another winner, Mr. Slush.

    ReplyDelete