Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Night labours of the Buddha


Night shift raises cancer risk in men
The New Zealand Herald, 23 October 2012

That true love can only be made
in the searching light of day

I hold as axiomatic. Those cold
dark nights that cloak untold

sins and betrayals of faith,
so damning to mental health

and a man’s repute, are wholly
unwholesome. So crawl to me

in the flecked patchwork quilt
of light filtering through the nets

across this rucked eiderdown
and, mindful of my suspicions,

steel your gaze on me, leave
no dark recess for the memories

of lovers past to feed on my sex.
We bare all our senses to test

the flesh, yet aren’t our hearts
always kept a little in the dark

and even the brightest sunlit days
cloak the night some other place?


(c) 2012 Slush Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment