Monday, January 21, 2013

Missing pieces


Your Andrew’s a dab hand at puzzles like this one
he said, mistaking me in his confusion for my father
his brother, whose death that once had shaken him loose
from domesticity, if not quite forgiven, had slipped
over some event horizon and thus never happened

We’re given these puzzles as if we were children
he said, with half the pieces already
missing it’s hardly our fault we seem a little muddled

Of course I remember when this one was taken
he said as if the photograph was from his own album
rather than some anachronistic library collection

Keep our little secret close, from the boy I mean
he said, your Mary would die if she suspected he knows
If my mother were still alive, I might have let it go


(c) 2013 Slush Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment