Saturday, April 20, 2013

Footsteps of Dancing Giants


My illustrated Bible primer, I recall,
showed Moses cowed before a great unholy wall
of water, thrown up as one might a Persian rug,
a salivating oh-so-living sea, frozen
in frothing abeyance of malice over the heads of God’s chosen
tribe; thus Zion was raised, the graves of Gaza dug.

But what’s that to a boy of ten who rode in a whale
and built an ark and tamed a lion all in a day?
Invincible in flannel shorts and with mother near
I tacked and gybed about the knees of dancing giants,
doughty as David strutting through Gath with his flaccid appliance
slung from his belt and Goliath’s titan head on a spear.

So small again so soon; some years are strangers, others
visit like nest-flown children; memories, like that of my mother’s
worried frown, for instance, haunt like infidelities.
And if I cried like a newborn the titans rushing by to their clients
wouldn’t take my hand like I would have when I was a giant
and they were only children at my dancing knees.


(c) 2013 Slush Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment