Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Made in Japan


Nissan announces Sunderland jobs bonanza as new model is unveiled
Sunderland Echo, 6 March 2012

My small hands held the present like
a beating heart in a jar. I placed it on the hearth rug
and peeled its shiny layers away. My own space capsule!
(Batteries not included. Made in Japan.)

My small town had two museums
where the tourists went. They came with cameras
fixed to their faces. They took their money back to London.
(They had long lenses. They came from Japan.)

My first car was a Datsun which I drove
into the ground. It turned to rust on the street outside
and I had to pay the scrap man a tenner before he’d tow it away.
(Replacement parts were cheaper from Japan.)

My small corner shop would collapse without Nissan.
The wages my customers spend are sent from Japan.

(c) 2012 Slush Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment